Art of Negotiation
|Kod Erasmus / ISCED:||
|Nazwa przedmiotu:||Art of Negotiation|
|Jednostka:||Wydział Nauk Politycznych i Studiów Międzynarodowych|
Przedmioty ogólnouniwersyteckie na Uniwersytecie Warszawskim
Przedmioty ogólnouniwersyteckie społeczne
Przedmioty ogólnouniwersyteckie Wydziału Nauk Politycznych i Studiów Międzynarodowych
|Punkty ECTS i inne:||
Short description: Theory and practice of negotiation.
The course “The Art of Negotiation” places particular emphasis on understanding the process of bargaining and negotiation and analyzes a variety of dispute settlement theories. Students will examine and compare the utility, efficiency, techniques, and tactics of various settlement procedures.
It consists of 15 classes (2 academic hours each):
1. Kick-off meeting - Introduction to the Art of Negotiation
2. Conflict – possible reasons of conflict, tools for conflict analysis, methods of dispute, circle of conflict
3. Methods of conflict resolution: court, arbitrage, force, pressure without using force, negotiation, mediation, administrative and legal decisions
4. Strategies of negotiation
5. Positional Strategy of Conflict Resolution, Basic Negotiation Terms and Basic Negotiation Principles
6. Interest-based Strategy of Conflict Resolution
7. Needs and Positions In Negotiation
8. Traps and Tricks in Negotiation Process
9. Effective Communication in Negotiation Process
10. Group Negotiations
11. Multi-Party Negotiation & Coalitions
12. Mediation as a Strategy for Alternative Dispute Resolution
13. Summary and revision
15. Analysis of the exam results
Getting to Yes: How to Negotiate Agreement Without Giving In, by Roger Fisher, William Ury, Bruce Patton, 2003
Getting Past No: Negotiating Your Way from Confrontation to Cooperation, by William Ury, 1993
A General Theory on Conflicts and Disputes, by Raymond Shonholtz, Partners for Democratic Change, Journal of Dispute Resolution, November 2003, Vol. 2003, No. 2, pgs 400-411.
The Mediation Process, by Christopher W. Moore, 2003
|Efekty uczenia się:||
K_W11: Knows and understands mechanisms of conflicts and dispute resolution processes; K_W12: Has a specialist knowledge of subjects of political communication and their relationships in terms of political conflicts; K_U12: Has developed skills to communicate adequately in the process of negotiation (presenting offers and statements, asking questions on needs and interests, defending positions); K_K01: Is ready to participate actively in the real negotiation; K_K02: Is ready to participate in building the institutionalised forms of activity of citizens using different methods of dispute resolution; K_K03: Can take active part in preparing and conducting group negotiations; K_K05: Identifies and solves correctly dilemmas connected with the applying correct strategy and method of negotiation; K_K06: Can manage a negotiation team
|Metody i kryteria oceniania:||
Assessment methods: evaluation of active participation in the course and a written exam (both test and open questions); Assessment criteria: students will have to give evidence (by discussing topics of each class, expressing opinions, obtaining a high score in the exam) of good knowledge of the course topics.
Właścicielem praw autorskich jest Uniwersytet Warszawski.