Selected issues of culture of regions
|Course ID:||4018-KONW25||Erasmus code / ISCED:||08.0 / (0220) Humanities (except languages), not further defined|
|Course title:||Selected issues of culture of regions||Name in Polish:||Wybrane zagadnienia z kultury regionów|
|Organizational unit:||Faculty of "Artes Liberales"|
|ECTS credit allocation (and other scores):||
view allocation of credits
|Type of course:||
The seminar discusses selected issues of the culture of the Mediterranean region together with films related to this topic.
The seminar discusses selected issues of the culture of the Mediterranean region.
The seminar aims to familiarize students of specialist Mediterranean Studies with issues of the culture of Mediterranean regions in a broad sense. Students will perform an in-depth analysis – primarily in a comparative approach – of elements of studies on the Mediterranean region, chiefly in a cultural studies and historical approach, based on films.
The course is divided into the following thematic blocks:
1. Mediterranean culture
2. Mediterranean regions
3. The Mediterranean in the contemporary world
4. Mediterranean countries
Decolonization in a cultural approach.
„Agora”, reż. A. Amenábar;
„Królestwo niebieskie”, reż. R. Scott;
„Dziewczyna marzeń”, reż. F. Trueba;
„Bitwa o Algier”, reż. G. Pontecorvo;
„Ziemia i wolność”, reż. K. Loach;
„Kapitan Corelli”, reż. J. Madden;
„Bitwa trzech króli”, reż. S. Ben-Barka, U. Nazarov.
- have organized, in-depth, detailed knowledge on the culture of a given Mediterranean region, as needed for their specialization;
- have in-depth knowledge on contemporary cultural life in Poland and in a given Mediterranean country;
- have in-depth knowledge on language as the main expression and medium of a given culture, reflecting the most important historical and cultural processes;
- be able to find and interpret information using different sources, and critically assess its reliability;
- be able to interpret and analyse texts of culture, accounting for their historical and regional context;
- be able to take part in discussions on cultural studies issues, formulating logical argumentation and critical conclusions;
- be able to respond to the views of others and to the hypotheses of researchers.
|Assessment methods and assessment criteria:||
Credits will be based on active participation in class and a semester paper on a selected issue.
Copyright by University of Warsaw.